NBC's new show, The Blacklist,
begins when one of America's Most Wanted criminals turns himself into the FBI, but will only talk with the new rookie agent. With that event, a partnership to bring down criminals is formed, but that also brings many secrets. At the NBC Television Critics Association Press Day (TCAs), the Executive Producers and cast discussed the new fall series.
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
James Spader (Raymond 'Red' Reddington)
Megan Boone (Elizabeth Keen)
Digo Klattenhoff (Donald Ressler)
Ryan Eggold (Tom Keen)
Harry Lennix (Harold Cooper)
Jon Bokenkamp, John Eisendrath, John Davis, and John Fox (Executive Producers)
Highlights from the panel:
- Red has short hair by design. Spader showed up to film the pilot with very long hair. He thought it was a great moment when Red takes his hat off after kneeing in the FBI lobby and reveals short hair. It contrasts with the long hair in his Most Wanted photo on the wall.
- Red looks well dressed but wears travelling clothes. Spader said, "He can go from a bank to a cave and he's dressed accordingly."
- In each episode, they will be going after a different criminal, but also includes telling the story of the characters and their secrets. There is a "delicate balance between solving the crime and going home." - Bokenkamp
- Red says he will only speak to rookie FBI Agent Elizabeth Keen. The reason for that and that connection between the two will be revealed throughout the season.
- "He would be the Rosetta Stone of crime." - Bokenkamp based the show and Red on the idea of what would happen if Keyser Soze or similar criminal turned himself in.
- "Red is not a psychopath, he's more of an enigma." - Eisendrath
- "A journey of discovery: not just for the audience but for [Liz]." - Eisendrath
- "No one is who they appear. [Donald] is going to investigate why Red wants Liz." - Eisendrath
- Donald isn't sure if he can trust Liz or not. It will take time for him to decide whether he can or not.
- "She's complicated and dynamic. That made me very hungry for it." - Boone on her character, Liz.
- Liz will have to figure out if she can trust her husband or not. She gets clues that say she can and others that say she shouldn't. She thought they were a loving couple, but the evidence makes her question it.
Check out The Blacklist preview.
More from TCA:
The Blacklist premieres Monday, September 23 at 10 pm ET on NBC.
Never miss The Blacklist! Add the show to your own watch-list! Download BuddyTV Guide for free for your phone.
(Image and video courtesy of NBC.)