Sons of Anarchy appeared for the final time this weekend at San Diego Comic-Con 2014 to promote the seventh and final season of the series. Executive Producer Kurt Sutter sat down with reporters to discuss Jax's journey, upcoming guest stars, the show as a family drama, and more.
Sons of Anarchy is available on Amazon Prime.
Watch the full video interview below or read on for the highlights.
Highlights from the interview:
- In Season 7, there will be a new Jax, "It will be the most proactive our hero's ever been."
- Sutter's had fun writing for this new Jax and "[Charlie Hunnam]'s been crushing it."
- New characters: Marilyn Manson plays a white supremacist and Courtney Love plays a school teacher. Both "make complete sense" jokes Sutter. Also, Malcolm-Jamal Warner as a Grim Bastard, "We got to thug up Theo."
- "Jax is not in a journaling mood right now." Sutter thought about adding that in Season 7, but "it never made sense." Jax could go back to that towards the end of the season.
- "At its core, ... this is a family drama." It's set in a heightened and dangerous environment.
- "What may be a plate being smashed in another family becomes a fork in the back of the head in our family."
- The hoopla from last season didn't affect the show at all. It happened outside. When on set, they don't focus on anything other than the work. "Inside it was business as usual."
- "Vanilla ice cream." - joke Sutter about providing a theme for the last season. Then, he responds, "At the end of the day, it's a love story."
Sons of Anarchy season 7 premieres Tuesday, September 9 at 10pm ET on FX.
(Image courtesy of FX, Video: Carla Day)