Adelaide Kane has gone from Teen Wolf
to teen queen, starring as Mary Queen of Scots in The CW's new drama Reign
. The former Cora Hale knows she has some big shoes and small corsets to fill, as Mary Queen of Scots was a compelling and dramatic historical figure.
At New York Comic Con, BuddyTV was lucky enough to sit down with Kane to chat about what she likes about playing Mary, what part of her story she's excited to portray, and all those beautiful costumes.
Check out the full interview below:
Highlights from the interview:
- Adelaide says there's a lot of responsibility because she's playing a real historical figure, but that pressure is lessened because the show is taking a lot of creative license with her story. "It's more historical fiction than anything."
- She says Francis' eventual death won't happen for many seasons to come, if they have them. Fingers crossed!
- Adelaide is half Scottish herself, so she really related to Mary when she read the pilot.
- She understands Mary and how she felt like an outsider, because she was a quiet teenager who liked to read comic books. (What better place to hang out than New York Comic Con?) She liked that Reign's version of Mary is determined to do her best and be strong, but is also impulsive and naive. "I like that she's flawed; she's a real person."
- Adelaide said it was a big change to go from Teen Wolf to Reign. She did really love her time on Teen Wolf and is still close to the cast. She's very aware that she's in the spotlight for this show and she's going to stop going on the Internet when the show comes out.
- "I miss the jeans and flats!" Adelaide says of her time on Teen Wolf. "But it's nice to be a lady for once instead of kicking the crap out of people."
- The costuming is very much a big part of the character. The corsets and dresses change how you walk, how aware you are of yourself, and even the physical proximity between the actors. Since the costumes are expensive, stepping on a hem isn't really an option.
- She can't imagine how they used to wear corsets all the time. The ones on the show are mostly for the actors, although they do give them structure...and the ability to eat as much as they want for lunch!
- What moment of Mary's life is she most looking forward to? If they get that far, Adelaide is really looking forward to Mary having her son. She loves children and she used to nanny, so she'd love to play that aspect of Mary's character.
Reign premieres October 17 at 9pm ET on The CW.