The prize package this season is worth $300,000 including a $100,000 cash prize from Red Robin, their new sponsor. I hope that means there will be an unconventional material challenge using burger fixings and that the models will have to walk down the runway eating steak fries. That's probably unlikely though.
Emmy winning actress from Modern Family
, Julie Bowen, is the guest judge and she tells everyone that she roots for the weirdos. And the Tim Gunn save is back which means he can save one eliminated contestant throughout the course of the season. The looks on the runway will also be anonymous to the judges so their work will have to speak for itself. TopChar
- Nina thinks her look is very charming and she's managed to make jersey fabric seem special. Julie loves the pockets in the skirt, but as a human woman who has had children, the crop top makes her "explode with fear." Heidi likes it because she can see it as one look in a bigger fashion show of which she would love to see the rest.Sandhya
- It's a surprise to me that this one is the top, especially since it seemed to be getting a bottom edit. But the judges love that it's like nothing they've ever seen before. Zac loves how her personal style has shone through the garment and he likes that she has a story to tell with her clothes. Heidi likes her creativity and point of view. Amanda
- I'm surprised this look is in the top as well because it just seems so commercial and not high-fashion at all. Nina likes that it's commercial and interesting and wants to be That Girl. Zac doesn't think it's a "wow" piece and Julie thinks the pattern on the pants is excessive and unnecessary. BottomMitchell
- The judges are underwhelmed by the lack of statement that this piece is giving. Julie says the top looks DIY. Heidi thinks it looks a little junior, but doesn't mind because it is sunny and fun. Zac thinks that Mitchell needs more than the word "fun" to guide his design. Jefferson
- All of the judges agree that the proportions on his look are just completely off. Nina thinks the shirt looks like a bib and the shorts look like a diaper. Jefferson doesn't get what they're saying and defends his work. That makes Nina wonder if he has the taste level needed for this competition. Angela
- Nina thinks the cut-out in the pants is slutty and the back is just too poorly fit. Zac says there's too much skin showing for the simplicity of the outfit to shine through. Angela admits that in her attempt to not be subtle, she may have over-compensated.
Sandhya is announced the winner of the challenge and the judges are excited to see more of her work in the future. And Jefferson is sent home after serving the judges nothing but Rugrat Realness.
What do you think of the new cast? Are you hooked for the season, or just about done with Project Runway
? Sound off in the comments!
Watch an all new episode of Project Runway next Thursday at 9pm on Lifetime.
(Image courtesy of Lifetime)