This week's Gossip Girl episode lifted our spirits and then took our hearts and stomped them into little pieces. In an effort to throw suspicion off of her real identity, Ivy tipped GG off to Blair's secret meeting with Chuck at the Empire - a meeting orchestrated by Dan in an attempt to give Blair her happiness at the expense of his own. These two actions were motivated by entirely opposite emotions, but they managed to lead to the same devastating result: almost killing Chuck and Blair as they are in the midst of declaring their love and deciding how to raise Blair's baby.
Season 5, episode 10 ("Riding In Town Cars With Boys") gave our characters plenty of realizations about themselves even as it threatened to take away the things and people they most loved. Nate became a real leader at his firm but had to contend with the fact that his position was bought by his family and not earned on his own merits. Serena realized Dan was the greatest relationship she ever had just as Dan was trying to take a chance with Blair, who in turn was hoping Chuck would still want to be with her while being too afraid to go after him herself. Ivy, meanwhile, was so afraid of being discovered as a fraud that she accidentally turned on the very people she was fighting so hard to stay close to. And in the middle of all this, Gossip Girl took matters into her own hands in order to win back her audience, but in doing so started what might just be the biggest war the UES has ever seen. Tonight's best quotes range from hilarious to heartbreaking, but they all remind us just how much we'd miss any of these characters if they ever left our screens.
Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.
#10. Lily van der Woodsen (about Max): "That young man had a lot of problems."
Dan Humphrey: "No wonder Serena was so into him."
- Ouch! Dan and Serena's sparring this week took some witty turns, and hit on some hard truths in the process.
#9. Chuck Bass: "A week ago you couldn't get Bloomberg to give a quote to The Spectator, now you're canceling on him? That's a bold move, Nathaniel. I'm almost aroused."
- There are few things in this world more pure and beautiful than the homoerotic bromance between a man and his Nate.
#8. Trip Vanderbilt (to Nate): "I think the last time I saw you concentrating that hard, you were reading the instructions on how to assemble a hookah."
- Poor Nate! Does no one believe in his newfound abilities?
#7. Serena van der Woodsen: "I'm going through Gossip Girl blasts, trying to figure out when I started making such bad romantic decisions. It's a Trip, which is also the name of one of my disastrous choices."
- Self-awareness can be quite an ugly thing, but realizing how good she and Dan were together is incredibly bittersweet.
#6. Chuck (to Blair): "I can't imagine it would be a mistake to marry the father of your child, right?"
- Chuck Bass, have you met Louis? It would be a mistake to marry him no matter HOW many babies he fathered!
#5. Chivy van der Dickens (to Nate): "If you deserve to be that person, then own it. And never look back.'"
- Genuinely moving speech about being who you want to be instead of who you are. If only Nate knew Charlie was talking about herself and not him...
#4. Lily (to Chuck): "Try as you might, you don't scare me. I'm sorry to inform you that my love for you is unconditional."
- Lily may be a UES ice queen most of the time, but if anyone can get through to Chuck Bass, it's him 'mommy.'
#3. Blair Waldorf: "Take this polyester rag off my face right now, Humphrey! And who doesn't keep a silk blindfold in their bedside table?"
- It's good to know that, no matter how much Serena has grown, she always thinks of herself first. But we still love you, S!
#2. Chuck: "I had it all wrong. Just because Louis is the father of your baby does not mean you should be with him. You should be with me."
Chuck: "Because I'm going to love your baby as much as I love you."
- Girls fainting all over the United States aside, this moment marked such growth for Chuck, who's always been obsessed with the idea of family and not understanding how he fits into it. And was a helluva of a well-acted scene by both Leighton and Ed. Props, guys!
#2. Dan (to Serena, about Blair): "You were right. She didn't need my confession. She needed my help."
- Dan also grew a lot in this episode, giving up his own shot at possible happiness in order to give Chuck and Blair theirs. The look on Serena's face as she realized what a great guy he was said it all.
#1. Lily: "The good news is that Blair is awake and responsive..."
Serena: "And Chuck...?"
- Chuck WHAT?!?!?!?!
Tatiana del Pilar
(Image courtesy of The CW)