This week's Gossip Girl mended friendships and brought families back together for better or worse, while sparking new romances ... and leaving Chuck alone, the way he always is. Cece may have left the Rhodes-van der Woodsen clan behind, but her passing brought them face to face with a long-lost family member and allowed them all to make peace with their matriarch. Serena and Blair handled their fight over a boy more gracefully that they are used to, and despite Dan claiming in his novel that SB is nothing compared to his relationship with Blair, the girls were still able to be there for each other when it mattered the most. Chuck slid back to his old ways for a moment or two, but he managed to bring himself back with some stern words from his beloved, even if it's too late to win her now that she's moved on to another man. However, Hurricane Georgina might have a trick or two up her sleeves to turn those tables once again.
Season 5, episode 16 ("Cross Rhodes") gave Nate and Lola their first real chance at love, as well as allowing Dan and Blair to move forward in their romance despite her status as a married woman. Tonight's best quotes, however, mostly focused on the relationships and people that were tested or sacrificed in order to make these new love affairs blossom.
#10. Serena (to Blair): "Oh, so that's your excuse? Multiple personality disorder?"
- It does seem like Blair has that this season, doesn't it? One personality for each love interest, perhaps?
#9. Chuck (to Dan): "I'm not interested in mooning over the woman who broke my heart. I'm a sadist, not a masochist."
- Chuck might talk the talk, but unfortunately this episode proves he can't yet walk the walk.
#8. Lola: "Jeez, that Charlie gets around."
- Aww, sweet Lola has clearly never been to the UES. 'Charlie' is probably the purest out of all of them.
#7. Cece (to Ivy): "You're the only person I feel safe with."
- Including this mostly because it makes me want to cry. How can Cece not feel safe with her own family?
#6. Serena (to Blair): "We both know if you have feelings for someone, nothing else matters."
- As selfless as Blair usually is with her friends, it's very true that she always follows her heart. But is that a good thing?
#5. Ivy: "I was just trying to give you and the family some space."
Carol: "Which makes sense because you're not family."
- While Ivy's motives are almost always in question, it's painful to see her try to hard to be part of a family that really has nothing to do with her.
#4. Dan: "When I saw the Chartreuse scarf, I knew it was you."
Chuck: "I thought that was a nice touch."
- They may be at complete and total odds right now, but they always have great banter.
#3. Gossip Girl: "The most painful rejection always comes from those you love the most."
- I think almost everyone learned this lesson tonight, in the most heartbreaking ways.
#2. Serena (to Blair about Dan): "You two are going to face a lot of obstacles, but I'm not going to be one of them."
- Serena's support of her best friend through thick and thin is heartwarming to see, but I wonder if it'll change when everyone finds out that one of DB's major obstacles was created by Dan himself when he released the video of Blair and Chuck.
#1. Blair (to Chuck): "If you target him, it'll just push us closer together, and I know you're smarter than that. You're better than that."
- It's sweet that, even when she's breaking his heart, Blair still knows how to look out for Chuck and keep him on the right path.
Tatiana del Pilar
(Image courtesy of The CW)