I hardly thought it possible, to love Glee
more than I did after its adorable premiere. A premiere, that begged from the TV screen for viewers to break into song, but after meeting the cast in Los Angeles, I am even more smitten.
In the coming weeks I'll be posting my interviews with the stable of FOX stars I interviewed--David Boreanaz, Jane Lynch, Matthew Morrison, Emily Deschanel, and Eliza Dushku--to name just a few. But today, I wanted to share the story of what happened and what I learned when this converse loving girl donned heels and went to an honest-to-god red carpet event in LA and spent her evening chatting up the cast of FOX's hottest new show.
Glee is available on Amazon Prime.
I'm sure you're wondering, how a gleek like me got the chance to meet the talented stars of FOX? The channel's fall press junket and their swanky annual Eco-Casino Party, that's how. Held every fall, the press junket allows entertainment reporters from around the country to interview the stars of FOX and when the interviews are all done, to party with them. (Yes, I do have the best job in the world.)
FOX's Eco-Casino Party is a sight that must be seen with ones own eyes. A red carpet, complete with paparazzi, and autograph hounds, this year's party was hosted at the hip new steak house BOA on West Sunset Boulevard. Once I got over the oddity of a green-themed event being hosted at a steak house, it was time to fawn over the set up and stars. BOA was decorated to the nines with fresh flowers, FOX throw pillows, and gaming tables. Seeing that I spend most of my time away from BuddyTV at dive bars, this swanky soiree was needless to say, a little out of my element.
As I circled the open bar and grabbed a glass of liquid courage, I almost literally ran into the talented and beautiful Tamara Taylor from Bones.
While we all know her best as the hard-headed but lovable Dr. Cam Soroyan, Tamara herself is down-to-earth and charming. As Tamara kindly inquired about my introduction to LA, I told her it was a little surreal as I was more of a dive bar and jeans type of girl. To this, she raised her perfectly manicured hand and gave me a solid high five as she giddily exclaimed, "me too!" Every worry I had about snobby celebrities went out the window thanks to Tamara's kindness, and my exciting night had begun in earnest.
It was then that I spotted the talented cast of Glee
-- Chris Colfer, Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Kevin McHale, and Cory Monteith. With another swig of liquid courage, I made my way to the Glee
cast and like a true gleek, asked if I could take a photo with the cast.
After getting the photo out of the way, I found myself chatting with Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel) of Glee
. Chris, is nothing like the aloof Kurt, happily chatting with me in his distinctive falsetto for over an hour about the cloud nine nature of his life, feature stories in the LA Times, and the cast's big trip to Australia the next day. For Chris and Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), it would be their first time outside of the United States and Chris was particularly proud of the masterful packing job he'd done for the trip. The cast, while well on their way to stardom, were only allowed one carry on bag for the 14-day-trip. Whipping out his iPhone, Chris showed with paternal pride his absolutely stuffed carry-on. "That's 14 different outfits and shoes." Snap.
Besides Chris being a masterful packer, these are the 10 most interesting things I learned about the cast of Glee
and swanky Hollywood parties that surreal evening.
10. Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester) was something of a golden boy at his high school. He was prom king, president of his class, a sports star, and involved in theater.
9. Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester) hung out with an eclectic crowd in high school, and she's certain that Matthew Morrison wouldn't have given her the time of day. However, the 6 foot tall Lynch would have towered over Morrison.
8. We can expect a dance routine between the rival Schuester and Sylvester some time this season.
7. Cory Monteith, much like his character Finn Hudson, has an affection for 80's arena rock. The Canadian hottie sang me a few bars of an Air Supply tune, as I tried not to faint.
6. Both Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang) have delicate, music related tattoos.
5. Mekhi Phifer makes Amber Riley a little weak in the knees. She fanned herself as the new Lie To Me
star walked by.
4. Joss Whedon is a big Glee
fan. He stood patiently as people chatted up the cast of Glee
for his time to talk with the stars.
3. If you see a guy in Converse at the open bar and you don't recognize him, say Hi. He might just be the Executive Producer of Fringe
and he might introduce you to Joss Whedon as he patiently waits to meet the cast of Glee
2. The cast of Glee
deserves every accolade and compliment that comes their way. They are genuine, talented, and in awe of the attention and affection being bestowed upon them.
1. There's few better places in the world to be than between Matthew Morrison and Cory Monteith.
--Abbey Simmons, BuddyTV Staff Writer and Gleek