Community is a sitcom. It is not sci-fi or fantasy (usually). But somehow -- thanks to its weirdness and to its dedicated fans -- Community fits in perfectly at the San Diego Comic-Con. Just before the show's cast took the stage for their panel, we got a chance to talk to Joel McHale. Check out this video to find out what happened next.
Press play below to watch the video interview with Joel McHale.
- Joel McHale's comments at the beginning of the video refer to the number of small recorders that had been placed in front of them. For the record, I did not use my iPhone because it is almost laughably old and unreliable.
- No one was tweeting right then. McHale was far too much fun for such distraction.
- Maybe Twitter is the reason they stopped telegram service altogether?
- It's cool that Joel McHale is willing to be serious (however briefly) about some things.
- There's no way Community would be in Spanish. We all saw how little they learned back in season 1, after all.
- I don't know why he didn't want my camera to see anything at the 2:10 mark. But hey -- it's funny!
- So Jeff's father is finally going to exist outside of Jeff's tortured psyche? That's cool. Weird casting (in lieu of just plain celebrity casting) would be even cooler.
- John Cleese as Jeff Winger' dad would make me very, very happy. Pierce is more likely, alas.
- I wonder what the highest-rated show in the history of Friday nights actually was? (If you know, that's what the comments section is for!)
- Community and Grimm? Well, it's a pairing that works for me, so I'm not complaining.
- They need to do a drum circle on Community season 4.
- "It was a crazy time." -- McHale's most specific comment with regard to the firing of Dan Harmon.
- Check out the slideshow at the end of this article if you don't remember Joel McHale's tiny but amusing part in Spider-Man 2.
- I wouldn't be shocked if there was a blood sacrifice performed by Community fans.
Check back for more interviews from Comic-Con!