Breaking Bad is coming to an end with its final 8 episodes this summer. At the Television Critics Association Press Day (TCAs), Executive Producer Vince Gilligan and cast spoke about the series and the final episodes.
Bryan Cranston (Walter White)
Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman)
Anna Gunn (Skyler White)
Betsy Brandt (Marie Schrader)
RJ Mitte (Walter White Jr)
Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman)
Vince Gilligan (Creator and Executive Producer)
Highlights from the panel:
- Gilligan on characters that changed from original conception: "All of these actors have added immensely to these characters ... onion like layers. Dean Norris originally served a limited function." ... "He seems to be loved by Walt's own son more than himself. He was a mechanical construct, but then got to know Norris and he's a much more complex fellow." "He is like Hank in a sense, but he went to Harvard and can talk poetry. He enriched the ability to write the character. TV is this organic, living breathing thing."
- "I can't remember exactly what my original intention was [for] Walter White." - VInce Gilligan
- Walt was in broad strokes at the start. I was aghast by the change of this character. I wanted the role really bad." - Cranston
- "I never wanted to know. The twists/turns of my character were so sharp, it wouldn't help me to know." - Cranston on Walt's end.
- "[Teaching] was his one true passion other than his family." - Cranston
- "He could have been Mr. Chips 20 years ago, but not now. His emotions were callused over my his depression." - Gilligan
- Stu Richardson was hired by Sony to shoot behind-the-scenes additional materials for all the DVD box sets. He put together a 2-hour documentary which will be included in the Blu-ray or DVD box sets. It includes material from the pilot shooting through final season.
- "I for one am very happy that this exists because my memory gets worse with every passing year" - Gilligan
- "Walt's true colors were revealed to him at the end of last season. He's terrified of his man and wants to stay out of this business." - Gilligan
- "I think everyone will be satisfied with the ending when we all hug it all out. [Laughs]" - Cranston jokes.
- "If given the right set of circumstances. Dire. Any one of us could become dangerous." - Cranston
- Gilligan never googled himself or the show to find out what fans thought. He did hear some feedback from others in the writers' room.
- "I can't wait for everyone to see it. I think most folks will dig the ending. You be the judge." - Gilligan
- "It is my fervent wish that there will be a Saul Goodman spin-off." - Gilligan
- "I would love to do it. I'd do it in a second." - Odenkirk on doing a spin-off.
- Brandt thought that Marie and Hank always wanted to have kids, but couldn't.
- "Jesse was on a constant search for guidance. Even if he didn't want to admit it, he was looking for a father figure." - Paul
Check out the preview that was shown before the Breaking Bad panel.
The final 8 episodes will air Sundays at 9 pm ET starting Sunday, August 11 on AMC.
More from TCA: