The top 8 girls make one last attempt to convince audiences to put them in the American Idol
top 12. Here are my quick thoughts while watching tonight's episode.
- Ryan Seacrest is wearing a turtleneck and Simon is showing a gross amount of man cleavage. Interesting choices, guys.
- Jordin Sparks starts the night off with a little Pat Benatar. I know I've been jones-ing for some Benatar lately. How about you? The song feels a little too big for her at the beginning. It was pretty good, got better at the end. Randy likes it, but Paula goes crazy over it. Simon brings us back to earth.
- Carrie Underwood will be singing on the show tomorrow night. She's good. I'm mildly excited.
- Sabrina Sloan used to be a high school news anchor. Sabrina is firmly entrenched in the middle of the pack, with not much hope to climb the ladder. She sings out of tune a lot on this song, and it gets pretty bad at points. If the judges don't rip into her, something is wrong. Wow, the judges give it praise. Seriously, she was out of tune a lot.
- Our favorite internet vixen, Antonella Barba is up next. She used to play the violin. She's singing a little Corinne Bailey Rae. She doesn't have the touch on her voice for this kind of thing. God, this is a downer. She is struggling, but pulled it together a little at the end. Wow, Simon mentions, in brief, the whole media frenzy that has surrounded her. He then goes on to be as honest as possible, saying that she is just not in the other girls' league. It gets awkward for a bit.
- Haley Scarnato sings next, and it sounds like one of those newfangled country ballads. She does a pretty solid job on it. I wasn't a big fan of the song. Good God, Simon just calls her out in front of America, saying that he doesn't even remember her name and that the performance was terrible.
- Stephanie Edwards sings “Sweet Thing” next and she is just short of really good. Her voice is almost incredible, she almost always sings in tune, and she almost always stays on the beat. The judges agree that she was solid, and that she is one of the better singers on the show, but that she needs to show us something more.
- Lakisha Jones will be singing next, and hopefully we can get a really great performance. She's just a better singer than all the previous girls combined. It's not fair. Her voice is far more mature, way bigger than anyone else. The judges all love it, as they should. She's already a lock for the top 3, I think.
- Gina Glocksen hits the stage next, dressed in her quasi-Gothic-rebellious garb. We'll see if she can stamp her ticket to the top 12. And she comes out rocking, singing some alt-Rock ballad, showing off her big voice. Really good song choice, I think. The song may be a little too “hard” for the American Idol audience, but I hope not. Gina really impressed me with this performance. Simon and Randy give her their approval for the performance.
- Melinda Doolittle will end the show tonight. Melinda comes out firing and, it's scary, but she keeps getting better every week as her confidence grows. She is the best singer on this show. I'm sorry. Better than Lakisha, maybe even way better. Good Lord, that was good. Just crown her now. The judges love it.
-Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV Senior Writer