'American Idol' Roundup: Lee and Crystal Miss Billboard's Top 10
'American Idol' Roundup: Lee and Crystal Miss Billboard's Top 10
It's another American Idol roundup, and it's 75% Lee Dewyze. The other 25%? A mix of Crystal Bowersox, Kara DioGuardi and Larry Platt.

Not all titles featured on BuddyTV are available through Amazon Prime.


I've been cynical about this season of American Idol, so you can't blame me for starting off on a bad note: both Lee Dewyze and Crystal Bowersox have failed to crack the Billboard Top 10. Lee's cover of U2's "Beautiful Day" debuted at #24 on the Billboard Hot 100, with Crystal's cover of Patty Griffin's "Up to the Mountain" debuting at #57. Their "Falling Slowly" duet debuted at #66.

Considering how other winners' coronation songs fared on the charts, Lee's could be the lowest-ranking debut single for an Idol winner, provided it doesn't go up that #24. Still, Lee's got a reason to celebrate: "Beautiful Day" was at the top slot on Billboard's Rock Digital Songs chart.

But it seems Lee can't complain about his underwhelming debut. "But this is the first season that we did a cover song for the finale, and that's obviously different from past seasons, whatever part that has to do with it," he told MTV News. "There [were] things presented, and, you know, that was the right song for the moment, I felt. And I'm glad I did it."

I think the real test would be later in the year, when both Lee and Crystal are expected to release their first post-Idol albums. And judging from their performances on the Today show earlier, you can keep your hopes up:







Elsewhere on the Idol-sphere... well, we're still talking about Lee Dewyze, but this time we're hearing from judge Kara DioGuardi, who discussed her impressions of him with USA Today's Brian Mansfield. "For someone to stand in front of 25 million people and be that vulnerable and easily accessible, in terms of his heart and whatever he sang, to feel like it's really coming from him, that's very impressive to me," she said. "A lot of people clam up on that stage and don't allow their true selves to come out. With him, he was a genuinely nice guy, appreciative, couldn't believe that people felt he was really good."

We end this recap with a very terrible death hoax: Jason Mills, the manager of "Pants on the Ground" star Larry Platt, told TheWrap that rumors of the General's death have been exaggerated. Reports online said that Platt was attacked by a group of young men in a parking lot, and a memorial service was being planned. "It's just a rumor," the manager said, but Platt hasn't released an official statement yet.

(Image courtesy of WENN)

News from our partners