The CW presented its new shows The Carrie Diaries and Cult at the Television Critics Association (TCA) winter press tour on Sunday, January 13. They also brought along the network's president, Mark Pedowitz to talk about both the new shows and about older shows like Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, 90210 and more.
The Vampire Diaries Spinoff, The Originals
Check out what he had to say here!
As was announced earlier in the week, The CW is looking at developing a spinoff of The Vampire Diaries
, titled The Originals
. This new series will follow the original family of vampires -- specifically Klaus -- and will move the story to New Orleans.
Pedowitz filled in a few of the gaps on the show when talking to reporters at the TCA. The show came to pass when the network president talked to Warner Bros. about properties they could develop for the future. Then, he went to the TVD
producers. "Kevin Williamson said, 'Let Julie [Plec] take a run at it, because it's her vision,'" Pedowitz explained.
What is Julie Plec's specific vision for The Originals
? As Mark Pedowitz explained it: "The character will be Klaus -- hopefully one of his siblings will come along. Klaus is one of the founding fathers of New Orleans."
Of course he is.
Coming along with Klaus to The Originals
will be the character of Hayley, the new werewolf played by The Secret Circle
veteran Phoebe Tonkin. It is now confirmed that Tonkin will
be in the spinoff, assuming it gets on the air: "At the moment, Phoebe will be coming on board on the spinoff," Pedowitz stated.The Future of Supernatural
Although he didn't give a direct answer, Mark Pedowitz did address the question that plagues all Supernatural
fans: Will the show return for season 9?
The answer is... maybe.
The network is very happy with Supernatural
's performance following its move to Wednesdays at 9pm -- the show has actually gained viewers in season 8! Because of this, The CW is very open to the idea of another season with the Winchester boys. "There's always a good shot that could happen," Pedowitz answered when asked about season 9.
One other tidbit from the Supernatural
universe -- Misha Collins will be voicing a character on a new CW animated series, Gallery Mallory
. He'll be working with Smallville
's Justin Hartley on the project.Other CW News
(Images courtesy of The CW)
- Beauty and the Beast -- "We're very pleased with where it's going, creatively," Pedowitz said, after pointing out that it just won a People's Choice Award. "We believe it has a very long run ahead of it."
- Nikita -- The show is doing better in its new 8pm timeslot, but decisions will be made later.
- Hart of Dixie -- Pedowitz called this a "fun show" that performs well in the difficult Tuesday slot. He is also happy with its DVR/VOD presence and creative direction.
- 90210 -- Whatever the future for this evening soap, fans can expect a conclusion. "I'm a big believer in giving fans a very satisfying conclusion," Mark Pedowitz assured reporters. "People who've invested that time deserve that sort of a gift."
- The Selection -- Based on a bestselling young adult novel by Kiera Cass, this is one of the pilots currently in contention at The CW. "Script just came in, very well done," Mark Pedowitz explained. "We haven't made our pilot selections yet."
- Amazon -- This is the Wonder Woman origin story in development at the network. They're waiting on the script and starting the casting process for a pilot. We can expect it to be an origin story along the lines of Smallville.