Sons of Anarchy left off last season with both Clay and Tara headed to prison and SAMCRO in turmoil after Bobby ripped off his VP badge. The cast and producers headed to San Diego Comic-Con to tease what's coming up in season 6. The premiere will pick up only a few days after the events of the finale.Who's Here:
Charlie Hunnam (Jax)
Ron Perlman (Clay)
Katey Sagal (Gemma)
Maggie Siff (Tara)
Kim Coates (Tig)
Mark Boone Junior (Bobby)
Tommy Flanagan (Chibs)
Theo Rossi (Juice)
Dayton Callie (Unser)
Kurt Sutter and Paris Barclay (Executive Producers)
The panel opened with a sizzle reel that revealed that in the aftermath of Bobby tearing off his VP patch, Chibs will take his place. And, Happy will be setting into the role of Sergeant-at-Arms. Tara and Clay are both in prison orange, while Gemma is happily making pancakes for her boys.
The reel was narrated by a touching entry in Jax's journal to his sons. Will he be able to provide a better life for them? Season 6 will be his attempt to do that. The video presentation ended with a quick cut of punches, shootings, killings from seasons' past and the upcoming season 6 as well. It was intense to watch.
The cast and producers were introduced to loud applause. Here are some highlights from the panel, including a few video clips.
Kurt Sutter was asked about whether everyone on the stage would be returning to next year's Comic-Con and his response was an emphatic "no" and then follows up with "I can't. I'm not sure." Oh no!
He also discusses the possibility of extending the show beyond the original planned seven seasons.
The cast reflected on the loss of Ryan Hurst in the cast and the character of Opie. It was a challenging situation for all of them. Hunnam reflected on Hurst's difficulty giving up the role and character of Opie. Hurst wrote an essay titled, "The Last Rites of Opie Winston."
Huston recounts Hurst's poignant thought on leaving characters behind, "Every actor carries around a graveyard of characters that they've had to bring to life and then kill." He's not looking forward to giving up Jax when that time comes.
Here's the video portion regarding Opie's death.
Gemma and Juice both betrayed Clay. Sagal and Rossi reflect on that decision and the aftermath.
- Hunnam said that a righteous outcome is possible, but the club's leadership transition was difficult. Jax "fell into the trap of becoming powerful with autonomy." In season 6, the club will be more democratic.
- Perlman said that Clay realizes that he doesn't have any leverage or moves left to play. With the bounty on Clay's head, he's at the mercy of other forces.
- Gemma has no regret over setting up Clay.
- Season 6 will have themes of love and hate.
- Sons of Anarchy comic books will be released and the storylines will run parallel to the show.
- This season is about "Redemption."
(Image and video courtesy of FX.)